Friday, July 3, 2015

Our Night Routine & Asking for Advice

I have been wanting to add more structure to Chloe's night time routine.  This whole year, I really fell out of our routine and more so lately with Eric working more and more.  I used to have dinner done a hour after I got off work, have her in the bath, and ready to go to bed by 8 pm.  Now, we end up in bed around 9:30 to 10 pm.  And then there is the fact that Chloe sleeps in our bed.  Since about 3 months old, I kept telling myself that I would start putting her in her crib but that never happened and here we are two and a half years into it and she is still sleeping with us.  The big reason I  cannot bring myself to do it is I have this fear and anxiety about her getting kidnapped.  I know, I am a freak!  Eric keeps telling me that he would be ready with a gun if he heard someone coming in as he is a light sleeper but I just cannot get away from this fear.  Am I the only one?  I would love to know if you are reading this, what your experience and journey is when it comes to the night routine and sleep situation.  I really need some advice on this one!

I also wanted to share our routine we have right now...
First we start with a bath which I usually take with her and try to keep her from drinking our bath water!  

 Chloe's after bath necessities!  The Tangle Teezer is AH-MAZING for tangled curly hair.  Chloe's skin is really sensitive and will get rashes all over if we do not use the Aveeno lotion and body wash.
And momma's!  I literally use the coconut oil for my whole body including my hair!  This makeup remover is def a must because it removes waterproof mascara, it is amazing for being from the drugstore.
Next, we battle on who is going to brush her teeth. Chloe repeats, "I do it, I do it!"  And I convince her she can do it after I brush them first.  While I am brushing, she tries to turn the light on and off and touch whatever she can get her hands on the sink.
 She tries to trick me into thinking she wants to sleep in her own bed.  By the messy bed, you would think she sleeps in there every night!
This is where she really sleeps.  When Eric is home, he sleeps on the left and I end up barely staying on the bed because Chloe somehow manages to take up most of both of our sides!  Is it just the kids in my family or does your kid/kids sleep wild?  Someone so little should not require that much space!

 We must have at least a handful of ponies so they can get stuck under momma and poke her all night!

I let Chloe watch T.V. for a little bit while I do some reading or blogging.  This is something I want to try and get out of. If I did not read or listen to my Holy Bible app, I will do a little reading or listen now.  In a perfect routine, I would love to get Chloe to bed and then do my little routine.  I have tried going back to just bathing Chloe and then putting her to sleep without T.V. time and I felt so exhausted afterwards and did not want to do my routine but I just need to get used to it and do it.  

Basically what I want to work on is getting her in her own bed, getting her to bed earlier, and work on separating our routines.  Wish me luck and I would love to hear any advice from anyone reading this!

8 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel a little better, I don't really have a structure at all for Sofia. I used to but with Juan working late at night, our nights are pretty late. Which is ok for me because I stay at home so I make sure Sofia gets a good nap. But I also have a fear of losing Sofia at night and not even just her...Juan or my mother too. Hell, even myself! So it's not just you, sweetie. We're mothers...it's a natural fear for our babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I feel better! My mom watches Chloe in the day and since her cousins are on summer break, she doesn't always get a good nap because she is so excited about them being home from school. Thanks for your input and the worrying involved in being a mother is exhausting!!!

      Delete
  2. We co-slept with Kinsey until 3 years and transition her when I was still pregnant to her own bed. I will say I do lay with her in her own bed until she falls asleep but she stays asleep through the night so I call that a win. I don't bathe the girls every night (that may be causing the dry, sensitive skin) but will read 2 stories before turning out the light (I start at 830 and end before 9p) Maybe let Chloe brush first and then follow up with your brushing, I have to do that lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better about her still sleeping with us! I think I just feel bad about it because if ppl's comments on how it is bad. I think we will get there though! You are prob right about her skin, I seriously did not even think of that! Thank you for your advice!

      Delete
    2. That makes me feel better about her still sleeping with us! I think I just feel bad about it because if ppl's comments on how it is bad. I think we will get there though! You are prob right about her skin, I seriously did not even think of that! Thank you for your advice!

      Delete
  3. I am pretty sure I could have written this post myself. I am totally attached to Lyla at bedtime. Every night she sleeps in bed with me but she used to sleep in her own bed since she was little for like 2 years! But then suddenly she got sick once and came in my room and never stopped. She has SO MUCH energy all the time and NEVER naps, kid never wants to sleep so before bed she watches an episode of My Little Pony while I read my book to calm her down. One day I will try and change this. I'm thinking I'll use incentives for her to sleep in her room when I grow the guts to take the step you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I love blogging! Your comment explains pretty much our situation to a T! I did not really think of incentives but I am totally gonna use that! It is crazy how you can bend the rules once and then they won't go back to the normal! Thank you so much for your comment pn your experience on this, helps tremendously!

      Delete
  4. Ez still sleeps with us too. I tried getting him in his own crib, but when he was little he breastfed so often that the only way I got any sleep was to co sleep. Neither Joe or I had the heart for sleep training (we tried once and it was traumatic for everyone). And by this point, I think I'll miss him as much as he'll miss sleeping in our bed. So no tips from me, we're pretty much in the same situation as you guys. I'll be reading the comments looking for advice though ;)

    ReplyDelete