Friday, January 29, 2016

Pinned and Tried

This past weekend, I tried this cheese dip.  I pinned this a few weeks ago and it is Cowboy Queso.  It is from Plain Chicken's website.  I have never tried any of her recipes but I have always drooled over her food and they are always on Pinterest so I was pretty pumped about trying it.  I would call myself a cheese dip connoisseur and most cheese dips don't ever wow me.  There is something about the way Mexican restaurants make cheese dip, they always get it right and I can never make cheese dip better than what I have had at the restaurants. 

Hers Vs.  Mine

I would say hers looks a lot better than mine but it was not as good as I wished it was.  Don't get me wrong, it was yummy and better than a lot of cheese dip recipes but it still was not as good as I wished.  I would recommend it it you love beans and the extra kick from the hot sauce was right up my alley.  One pro was that the site included a microwave version of the recipe and it was super fast.  I don't know why I never thought of just microwaving cheese dip but now my life is changed!  Below is the recipe I copied and pasted fro the website.

Cowboy Queso

  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
  • 1 (15oz) can chili beans, undrained
  • 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (10oz) can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 16 oz Velveeta, cubed


Microwave Directions:
In a large skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain fat.

Place beef in a large microwave safe bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes, stir. Microwave on HIGH for an additional 4 minutes, stir. Continue microwaving in 1 to 2 minute intervals until cheese is melted and dip is thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.

Slow Cooker Directions:
In a large skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain fat.

Place cooked beef in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cook on LOW for 2 or 3 hours, until cheese is melted. Serve with chips.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I wonder what it is about restaurant versions that make them so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer that it wasn't as great as you had hoped! It does look and sound delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! There is nothing like restaurant cheese dip though!

    ReplyDelete