Tuesday, July 12, 2016

SAHM Chronicles: Things I Have Learned so Far

Things I Have Learned so Far:

1.) It is a lot more challenging than I thought.  
When you have a child, you think about how the amount of love you have will make motherhood all sunshine and roses (at least I did).  This is kind of what I thought about starting my journey as a stay at home mom.  I had this idea in my head that I was going to start a morning and night routine and Chloe and I were going to have learning time everyday.  Everything I thought in my head was pretty delusional especially with a new baby.  Even though the love is what gets you through, it definitely is not all sunshine and roses.  

2.) Expectations are for the birds.  
Expecting to stick to a perfect schedule everyday is a recipe to be let down.  Like I said before, I had all kinds of plans on what I was going to do as a SAHM.  I even searched online schedules for a SAHM!  I definitely believe is having a schedule but what I also know is that kids and life is unpredictable.  As soon as you think you are going to get up at 5 am before the kids get up to workout and knock out your chores, either both kiddos decide to wake up or you simply just go back to sleep!


3.) Me time is either at the crack of dawn or at nightfall.
Staying up until all hours of the night or waking up before the sun are the times I get to just be by myself.  There is something in my brain that convinces me that staying up to catch up on Housewives or Grey's Anatomy is a good idea.  I do know what the something is, it is the fact that I know me time is nonexistent during the day so I better get it while I can!  And that somehow means more to me than the extra few hours of sleep I could get and need!

4.) You gotta let kids be kids.
Being with Chloe all day, I get to see her personality more and more and I realize how animated she is.  Let's be honest, the real word I want to use is loud.  She is loud, out of control, cannot seem to sit still for two seconds, and has the attention span of a fly.  But she is a kid and that is what kids do.  Of course I knew all of this before quitting my job but now I am around it ALL DAY LONG.  At first, I would tell her to calm down and then get frustrated when she is jumping on the couch one minute later but then I realized, she literally cannot calm down.  You only get to be truly free like that for a short time.   

1 comment:

  1. I love what you said about only getting to be free like that for a short while. So true, and probably something I should remind myself more often. The toddler/newborn phase is rough. Eventually the sleep and me time increase and it all feels more manageable. Schedule or not, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete