Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Saying Yes More

It feels a little weird to be typing this blog because the last time I blogged was August last year.  Since my mom went into hospice in November and passed away, I just did not feel like doing much of anything but I am slowly getting back to the things I enjoy.  

Lately, I have been trying to make more of an effort to say yes when it comes to my children.  Mason of course can't ask for anything yet but Chloe has requests daily for everything from the park to doing her hair in different styles throughout the day.  I was thinking about how much I say no because not wanting to clean up afterwards or just simply not feeling like it and I realized the mess doesn't matter but what does is allowing my children to be children.  They are only little ones for a short period which goes by in a flash so I want them to do as much kid stuff as they can!  

Chloe wants to change her hair and outfit literally five times a day and at first, I would tell her no.  Laundry is not something I enjoy doing so I was completely against an extra four outfits per day in the laundry basket.  But it is a way she expressed herself and something she really enjoyed.  The last thing I want to do it prevent my child from doing things she loves because it would give me extra work.  What's another load of laundry per week in the scheme of things!?  Even though I will probably be talking stuff under my breath when no one is watching and I am knee deep in clothes on laundry day.  I put a laundry basket in her closet with all the clothes she can change in and out of daily mostly made up of hand me downs and older clothes.




There was also the time when she woke up at 6 in the morning the other day and said she wanted to have a surprise party for her daddy.  It wasn't his birthday and there was no reason to surprise him but I said yes and she had the best time.  We went to Dollar Tree and got party supplies and a little glow ball to give to him as a present and she was loving it.  We put a candle in a honey bun and sang him Happy Birthday.  He was really confused about the whole thing.  That was probably the highlight of it all!
I just feel like the reason I say no most of the time is because my own selfish reasons.  Don't get me wrong, being a mom is hard and when your child asks to play right after you swept the floor, it makes your skin crawl but there will be a day I will miss that.  And also, there are two futures in my hands which are my children's and how they turn out will depend on how I raise them and I want to make they remember all the experiences they had with their mother, even if it means throwing a pretend surprise party for a pretend birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment